You know you can check out books and movies from the library. Now, we’re letting you borrow things to assist with home improvement, spruce up a party, or help you record and preserve family memories! It’s all available in the Des Moines Public Library’s Library of Things. The Library of Things is a collection of more than 50 items you’ll find useful in your everyday life. Before you can check out an LOT item, you must fill out and return this waiver (.pdf).
How It Works
- You must be 18 years old to borrow an item from the Library of Things. This includes board games.
- You can borrow items from the Library of Things for up to one week, with up to two renewals if there are no holds on the item.
- When you place a hold on the item, it will be shipped from the Central Library to the library of your choosing, where it will be ready to be picked up in 1-2 business days.
- Some items do require additional supplies, such as batteries, so please read the description carefully before borrowing an item.
- Before borrowing an item you must read and complete this waiver and return it to the library.
Library of Things Donation Guidelines
Potential donations must be new or in like-new condition, with all parts and instructions present. Before bringing items to the library, email email@example.com with the following information:
- What you would like to donate
- Whether it is new or like-new
- Whether you have all parts and instructions
- Whether the item is in the original box
Someone will get back to you within 5-10 business days to let you know whether we will be able to accept your donation.
All donations must be pre-approved before they can be brought to the Central Library. Pre-approved donations will only be accepted at the Central Library at this time and will not be accepted at any other branch. Donations that are not pre-approved will not be accepted.
If a pre-approved item is found to be in a condition other than new or like-new, or if it is found to be missing parts, it will not be added to the collection and cannot be returned to the donor.