Obituary Search Services & Fees
Customers wishing to obtain obituaries and death notices from the Des Moines Register or Des Moines Tribune have three options:
- Visit the Central Library and conduct the microfilm search with some guidance from library staff. The only charge is for printing.
- Complete the Obituary Search Request Form and mail request with payment to DMPL 1000 Grand Ave Des Moines, IA 50309 Attn: Reference Dept. Search results can be mailed or emailed to you.
- Call (515) 283-4152 and speak with library staff to take Obituary Search Request via phone; payment can be made via credit card.
- $10 per single Obituary (Cost includes research, printing and postage)
- $20 per hour to search multiple requests. (Maximum 4 obituaries per request)
Search results will be returned within 10 business days.
Payment must be received in advance of research.
We cannot guarantee the quality of copies from microfilm, not all films are of flawless quality. We will do our best to provide the clearest copy possible.
Special Research Services & Fees
The Des Moines Public Library Reference Department offers special research services to patrons seeking information about a particular person, topic or event.
Research fees must be paid in advance and are non-refundable.
Once the request and fee have been received, staff will conduct the research and return the results.
Please call (515) 283-4152 to speak with a librarian to submit your research request.