Job Openings at the Des Moines Public Library
- Job Title: Library Assistant
- Department: Information Services
- Position Type: Half-Time
- Location: TBD
- Salary: $26,718
- Posting Expires: Monday, October 3, 2022
Under the direction of the Supervising Librarian, provides excellent customer service to the community along with information and readers’ advisory services. Does related professional and clerical work as required. This position is twenty (20) hours per week and requires regular evening and weekend hours.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Interviews library users carefully to determine what information is required and provides clear, accurate and timely answers to all inquiries.
- Answers information and readers' advisory questions in-person, by phone, and by electronic means.
- Uses social media as directed to promote library services and activities.
- Trains patrons in use of online catalog and various databases.
- Checks out and receives materials.
- Manages interactions with difficult customers with tact and diplomacy.
- Prepares bibliographies and participates in collection development.
- Participates in planning and organizing work within the department.
- Presents programs, book talks, and library tours.
- Assists in planning displays and exhibits.
- Reads professional literature and attends conferences to keep informed of developing library practices and issues.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL ABILITIES
- Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing to be able to communicate effectively.
- Sufficient vision to be able to produce and review a wide variety of reports and related materials in both electronic and hard copy form.
- Sufficient manual dexterity to be able to access relevant library materials and operate a keyboard.
- Sufficient mobility to be able to transport materials and equipment.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of library policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of a broad range of reference and readers' advisory materials.
- Knowledge of general clerical methods and procedures.
- Skill in using current library technology and automated systems.
- Skill in selecting appropriate materials for patrons of all ages.
- Skill in interpreting library resources and services to the public.
- Ability to keep records and files and compile reports.
- Ability to assist in instructing and training support staff.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with others.
- Ability to provide outstanding customer service.
- Ability to stoop and reach well enough to retrieve materials from the shelves.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college.
- Excellent customer service skills with all ages.
- Experience in a public library setting is desired.
- Spanish-English bilingual spoken and written language skills preferred.
Send resume, letter of application, and unofficial transcripts to:
Deputy Director Jon Hobbs
- E-Mail: email@example.com
- Fax: (515) 237-1654
- Mail: Jon Hobbs, Deputy Director, 1000 Grand Avenue, Des Moines, Iowa 50309
Applications from candidates must be received by 5:00 pm, Monday, October 3, 2022.
Current employees or those who have applied in the last year who have their transcript and resume on file do not need to resubmit those two items at this time. However, you must contact Jon Hobbs via email or hard copy of interest in this position before the closing date and time.
Candidates for positions in this class must pass a post-employment offer physical examination, drug screen, and background check.
Des Moines Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, minorities and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.