Job Title: Deputy Director
Location: Central Library
Position Type: Full-Time
Salary Range: $66,974 to $149,169
Travel Required: Between buildings as needed
Date Posted: June 12, 2020
Posting Expires: July 2, 2020
Under the supervision of the director, administers public services, human resources, branch management, and Technical Services. Develops and designs library policies, and procedures. Participates in budget preparation and fiscal management. Acts for the library director in his/her absence, and does related work as required.
Essential Job Functions
- Acts for the director in his/her absence.
- Motivates, coaches, and supervises management staff.
- Develops and oversees the implementation of new library policies, procedures, programs, and services designed for library customers.
- Manages the preparation, analysis, negotiation, and review of contracts related to library facilities and operations.
- Manages safety compliance and training for the library system.
- Produces reports and statistics related to library operations.
- Monitors library facilities to ensure they are well-maintained and works closely with Building Force on project management.
- Manages all human resource functions, including recruitment, selection, and placement of library employees. Writes personnel policies and union work rules.
- Coaches managers on management and human resource issues; counsels employees on work-related problems.
- Responds to and resolves difficult and sensitive patron or staff inquiries and complaints.
- Participates in the development of short- and long-range goals, objectives, and strategic planning for the library system.
- Plans and coordinates staff training and development.
- Participates in collective bargaining negotiations.
- Keeps library administration and staff informed regarding current and future trends in human resources and training and development issues.
- Coordinates scheduling and use of substitutes.
- Communicates with staff, public officials, and customers about library services, programs, policies and procedures.
- Works closely with other city departments to support daily operations of DMPL.
- Attends workshops and conferences that enhance knowledge and experience.
Essential Physical Abilities
- Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing to be able to communicate effectively.
- Sufficient vision to be able to produce and review a wide variety of reports and related materials in both electronic and hard copy form.
- Sufficient manual dexterity to be able to access relevant library materials and operate a keyboard.
- Sufficient mobility to be able to transport materials and equipment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of sound methods of administration and management including personnel, planning, purchasing, budgetary and financial principles and techniques.
- Knowledge of current human resources laws and applications.
- Skill in developing and implementing long- and short-range plans.
- Ability to analyze training needs, and to plan and coordinate training activities.
- Ability to coach, motivate, and evaluate library management staff.
- Ability to present clear and precise oral, graphic, and written reports.
- Ability to develop detailed procedures.
- Ability to convey technical information in terms that are understandable to any audience.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, city departments, consultants, contractors and the public.
- Ability to provide outstanding customer service both in person and on the telephone.
Education and Experience
Five years of supervisory experience in a library or community-based organization. Master’s degree preferred, ideally in the fields of Library and Information Science, Public Administration, Human Resource Development or similar.
Send resume and letter of application to Susan A. Woody, Director, Des Moines Public Library
- Email: SAWoody@dmpl.org
- Fax: (515) 237-1654
- Mail: 1000 Grand Avenue, Des Moines, IA 50309.
Applications must be submitted by 5:00 pm on Thursday, July 2, 2020.
Contact Human Resources
There are no current job openings at the Des Moines Public Library. We welcome your questions about employment opportunities.
Sarah Scholten | Deputy Director
1000 Grand Avenue
Des Moines, IA 50309
Phone: (515) 283-4102