Department: Information Services
Position Type: As needed
Hourly Wage: $23.80
Date Posted: January 21, 2020
Under general direction, provides information and readers' advisory services in a variety of library locations as needed. Does related professional and clerical work as required. Must have own transportation. Hours vary. Must be available for weekday daytime hours, evening and weekend hours.
Essential Job Functions
- Provides exemplary customer service to library patrons.
- Answers information and readers' advisory questions.
- Trains patrons in use of online catalog and various databases.
- Checks out and receives library materials.
- Manages interactions with customers with tact and diplomacy.
- Works in a variety of locations on an on-call schedule.
- Substitute as lead for story times, teen programs and adult programs.
Essential Physical Abilities
- Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing to be able to communicate effectively.
- Sufficient vision to be able to produce and review a wide variety of reports and related materials in both electronic and hard copy form.
- Sufficient manual dexterity to be able to access relevant library materials and operate a keyboard.
- Sufficient mobility to be able to transport materials and equipment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of library policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of a broad range of reference and readers' advisory materials.
- Knowledge of general clerical methods and procedures.
- Skill in using current library technology and automated systems.
- Skill in interpreting library resources and services to the public.
- Ability to keep records and files and compile reports.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to adapt to a variety of work environments and changing schedules.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with others.
- Ability to provide outstanding customer service.
- Ability to stoop and reach well enough to retrieve materials from the shelves.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college. Successful customer service experience in public library work or related field is desired. Master’s degree in Library Science preferred.
Send resume, letter of application, and copy of college transcripts (if not on file) by Monday, February 3, 2020 at 5:00 PM to:
Sarah Scholten, Deputy Director, Des Moines Public Library
1000 Grand Avenue, Des Moines, IA 50309.
Contact Human Resources
There are no current job openings at the Des Moines Public Library. We welcome your questions about employment opportunities.
Sarah Scholten | Deputy Director
1000 Grand Avenue
Des Moines, IA 50309
Phone: (515) 283-4102