Library Clerk (half-time)
- Department: Customer Services
- Location: TBD/One of six DMPL Locations
- Salary: $16,046
- Date Posted: September 15, 2020
- Posting Expires: September 28, 2020
This is a half-time position of 20 hours per week. Under the direction of a supervisor, checks out and receives materials and collects fines and fees at the public service desk. Demonstrates proficiency in using a variety of library technology and operating systems, provides excellent service, and does related work as required. This position requires regular day, evening and weekend hours.
Essential Job Functions
- Checks out and receives materials and collects fines and fees at the public service desk
- Provides exemplary service to library customers
- Manages interactions with customers with tact and diplomacy
- Creates and maintains customer records and accounts
- Proficiently uses a variety of library technology and operating systems
- Accurately handles money transactions
- Provides training and direction to library aides
- Additional duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Skill in using current library technology and operating systems
- Ability to provide outstanding customer service, both in person and on the telephone
- Ability to interpret and apply library policies and procedures
- Ability to correctly spell, use proper grammar and make simple mathematical calculations
- Ability to conduct regular cash register accounting functions
- Ability to accurately type 30 wpm using a keyboard
- Ability to use Microsoft products to create word documents and spreadsheets
- Ability to work in a fast-paced public service environment as the member of a team
- Ability to meet assigned project deadlines
Essential Physical Abilities
- Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing to be able to communicate effectively
- Sufficient vision to be able to produce and read library materials
- Sufficient manual dexterity to write legibly, operate a keyboard and access relevant library materials
- Sufficient mobility to be able to transport materials and equipment
- Ability to stoop, reach, and push well enough to perform circulation and delivery procedures, and to retrieve materials from the shelves
Education and Experience
Graduation from high school. Library experience and customer service experience are desired.
Send resume and letter of application to Deputy Director Emanuel Mitchell. Applications must be received by 5:00 PM on Monday, September 28, 2020.
- Email: email@example.com
- Fax: (515) 237-1654, ATTN: Emanuel Mitchell - Deputy Director
- Mail: Emanuel Mitchell, Deputy Director. 1000 Grand Ave. Des Moines, IA 50309.
ADDITIONALLY: Candidates must call 283-4152 ext. 4 to schedule screening and keyboarding tests at the Central Library by 12:00 p.m. on Monday, September 28, 2020.