Make a Difference at the DMPL
Looking for a great place to volunteer? The library may be just the place for you. Our volunteers are individuals who bring a variety of talents to our libraries.
- Assist library staff by shelving materials requested by our patrons. The quicker we get them on the shelf, the quicker our patrons can take them home!
- Support library book sales by helping staff sort and arrange items for sale.
- Organize information in a variety of ways. We occasionally need help with sorting, filing, and data entry.
- Help people practice their English skills at our “Conversations and Coffee” programs.
- Help library staff at special events, including Authors Visiting in Des Moines (AViD) live events. Volunteers greet and guide patrons to program areas, assist with the program, and help library staff before and after the program as needed.
- Give children and teens a smile when you assist staff with craft and activity programs.
- Inspire summer reading by helping children and teens register for the Summer Reading program
- Assist youth services staff with children's events and activities during the school year and for our children's Summer Reading Program.
- Register children and teens for the Summer Reading Program.
- Prepare craft activities for Preschool/Toddler Storytimes - and for our Summer Reading Program.
- Help maintain the Children's Library and Children's Areas inside our buildings.
- Create displays in the Children's Area.
- Support Youth Services Librarians with other duties as needed.
Teen volunteer opportunities vary by branch. For more information about dates and times of teen volunteer meetings, contact your local branch. Volunteer applications will be accepted until positions are full.
Summer teen volunteer applications must be picked up at the library where you wish to volunteer. They will be available starting the third Monday in April, until all positions are full.