Discover a new series, learn about a life well-lived, and get your nose in that dystopian sci-fi drama your teenage kid is always talking about. It’s all part of our 2019 DMPL Reading Challenge. The Des Moines Public Library is challenging you to read 12 books in 12 months, with the chance to win great prizes along the way.
To register, you'll need to sign up for a Beanstack account, which takes just seconds. Be sure you register for the "2019 DMPL Reading Challenge."
How it works:
- Choose one book from each of our 12 categories and log your progress online. You can read books and categories in any order - there are no assigned months. Find the categories below.
- We will offer suggestions, but feel free to choose any book that fits within a category.
- Books, audiobooks, and eBooks all count.
- Participants who stay on track (i.e., have read three books in three months, six books in six months, etc.) will be eligible to win quarterly prizes. At the end of each quarter (March, June, September, December), we'll draw three winners. Each winner will receive a $20 Visa gift card.
- Those who complete the challenge - read a book in each of the 12 categories over the course of the year - will be eligible to win one of our grand prizes: a $150 and a $100 VISA gift card.
- You can always play catch-up! If you don't register until February, you can still be eligible for the first quarter prize by reading three books by the end of March. If you miss a month, read two books the next month to stay on track. If you don't register until November, you can still read 12 books before the end of 2019 and be eligible for the grand prize.
- Must be 18 years of age or older to participate. An individual that turns 18 over the course of the year may register and begin participating on or after their birthday.
|Graphic Novels||First in a Series|
|Short Stories and Essays||Teen and Young Adult Novels|
|Banned Books||Funny Books|
|Books Adapted to a TV Series or Movie||Biographies and Memoirs|
|Diverse Reads||Iowa Authors|
|The All Iowa Reads 2019 Book: This Blessed Earth, by Ted Genoways||2019 AViD Authors (to be revealed January 8)|
Full contest rules (.pdf)
Join the Conversation:
- The contest begins on December 31.
- Use our hashtag and let us know what you're reading: #DMPLReads19
- Join our Facebook group - #DMPLReads19 - and talk about which books you're reading with other challenge participants.
- Grand Prize #1: $150 in Visa gift cards
- Grand Prize #2: $100 in Visa gift cards
- At the end of March, June, September, and December, drawings will take place for three (3) $20 gift cards