The Des Moines Public Library now has Literacy and S.T.E.M. Kits And Activities available to borrow. This collection includes books and materials selected by our youth librarians to inspire learning and fun, especially in the areas of science, technology, engineering, and math. Themes cover many popular topics that are common in storytimes, programs, and favorite titles.
The library has multiple copies of different kits, with different activities for different age groups.
Kits can be placed on hold and picked up at any location. Kits will check out for three weeks and may not be renewed. Find the kits and activities at the links below or click here to see all the kits.
Kit Rules and Guidelines
- Sets check out for 3 weeks under one person’s library card.
- Sets may not be renewed.
- Kits are checked out as a full set, not individual books or items.
- All materials need to be returned with the set before it will be checked in.
- A lost book will be charged a replacement fee of $10 for hardcover and $5 for paperback. Toys will be charged on a case by case basis.
- No overdue fines.
- The replacement fee for lost or damaged bags will be $5.
- If an entire set is lost, $50 will be charged for replacement.
- Kits must be picked up and returned to the front desk during open hours at any location. They cannot be placed in library book drops.
S.T.E.M. Kits for Ages 6+
- Global Leaders
- Leaders in Climate Activism
- Outer Space 1
- Outer Space 2
- Social Justice Leaders
- S.T.E.M. Leaders
- Wild Animals
S.T.E.M. Activities/Games for Ages 0-3
S.T.E.M. Activities/Games for Ages 3-6
- Acorn Soup
- Fire Truck Puzzle
- Build-It Blueprints
- Dado Cubes
- Numberblocks Mathlink Cubes
- Topper Takes a Trip
- Jack and the Beanstalk Deluxe
- What Goes Together Activity Box
- Building Site Puzzle
- Mix Or Match Wild Animals
- Mix or Match Dinosaurs
- Maze Cube