Wednesday, May 10 | 7 PM | Central Library
Canadian author Emily St. John Mandel is one of our most acclaimed and revered storytellers, with her novels spanning genres from post-apocalyptic fiction to literary fiction to mystery thriller. Her 2022 bestseller, Sea of Tranquility, is a masterpiece of metaphysical and speculative fiction that dives into time travel, the simulation hypothesis, love, and unfurls a story of humanity across centuries. Barack Obama included the novel on his list of favorite books of 2022, and a review in USA Today said the book was “transporting and brilliant and generous… I haven’t read anything quite like it.”
Mandel’s past novels are also praised bestsellers, with The Glass Hotel called “a perfect novel” by The Washington Post and being named a best book of 2020 by The AV Club, BBC, Entertainment Weekly, The New Yorker, NPR, Parade, TIME, Washington Post, and many, many more.
Her groundbreaking 2014 novel, Station Eleven, is a landmark work of post-apocalyptic fiction, winning the prestigious Arthur C. Clarke Award. It was also a finalist for the National Book Award, the PEN/Faulkner Award, and many other accolades. The book was adapted into an award-winning HBO 10-part TV series of the same name, which was nominated for seven Primetime Emmy Awards.
- Admission is free.
- Doors open at 6:00 PM.
- Seating is first-come, first-served.
- This event will be livestreamed on Zoom. Information will be posted the day of the program.
- Free parking is available:
- In the Des Moines Public Library parking garage, located on Grand Ave.
- On the surface lot on the corner of 10th St. and Grand Ave., across from the library.
- At the end of the program, there will be a question and answer period. A book signing will follow.
- Books will be available to purchase before and after the program courtesy of Beaverdale Books.