We know it’s a challenging time for parents and caregivers across the city, state, and country. Not only are children cooped up at home, but it’s happening during a time where they should be learning at school.
To try and help alleviate families’ burdens, we’ve compiled a list of resources and activities – both from the Des Moines Public Library and external sources – to help both entertain and educate children in the coming weeks.
Be sure to check back here often, as we will continue to add to this list as we discover more great activities and resources for kids and families to take advantage of.
Library Resources – All FREE with your Des Moines Public Library card*
- Tumblebooks offers virtual picture books, read along books, puzzles, and games. It’s perfect for toddlers and young readers. No residency restrictions.
- Tumble Math
- eBooks, read along books, and quizzes specifically geared toward encouraging math skills. For grades K-5. No residency restrictions.
- Teen Book Cloud
- eBooks, eAudiobooks, and eGraphic Novels for teens. No residency restrictions.
- Kanopy Kids*
- Kanopy Kids offers read along books and educational TV shows and movies for kids. Access to Kanopy Kids is unlimited!
*Some digital resources are available only to residents of Des Moines and rural Polk County.
- Educational activity packets for grades K-5 from Have Fun Teaching – includes English, reading, math, science, social studies, and more
- Free subscriptions to more than 100 educational companies' digital products
- Learn at Home from Scholastic
- Kids Resources for all ages
- At-home science experiments
- Hour of Code – free coding resources (great for tweens and teens)
- Audible Stories: Free streaming of thousands of stories for kids.
- Blank Park Zoo crafts and activities on Facebook (schedule) (Facebook page)
- Mo Willems’ Lunch Doodles (livestream begins at 12:00 pm Central; all are archived)
- Daily livestreams at the Cincinnati Zoo (2pm Central; all streams are archived)
- TV recommendations for various age groups
- Mister Rogers full episodes
- Pete the Cat virtual storytime (11 am Central, weekdays)
- Movement, songs, and exercise
- Cosmic Kids Yoga – Yoga for kids based on various movies and themes.
- Free unlimited access to Fluency and Fitness – a program for K-2 that reviews essential reading and math topics while providing movement breaks
- Cleveland Inner City Ballet Virtual Instruction Program for kids
- At-home activities for age 0-3
- Songs and music with children’s singer Laurie Berkner
- Interactive songs and music with children’s singer Jim Gill