Location: Forest Avenue Library
Department: Information Services
Position type: Half-time
Date Posted: August 2, 2019
Posting Expires: August 16, 2019
Under the direction of a library manager, provides excellent customer service to all customers. Demonstrates proficiency in current and emerging library technology. Provides excellent reference and readers’ advisory service for all customers. Provides direction or leadership to library assistants, clerks, library aides and volunteers. Does related work as required. This position is twenty (20) hours per week with regular weekday, weekend and evening hours.
Essential Job Functions
- Answers reference, research, and readers' advisory questions and prepares bibliographies.
- Develops and provides library programs for adults including book discussions or book talks, information literacy instruction, library tours and other programs as community needs dictate.
- Trains patrons in use of online catalog, online resources, and library technology.
- Manages interactions with customers with tact and diplomacy.
- Participates in and understands collection development and its budgets.
- Directs and participates in the planning and organizing of work/projects within the department.
- Provides direction, training, and supervision to support staff and volunteers.
- Plans and maintains displays, exhibits, and bulletin boards.
- Reads professional literature and participates in continuing education to keep informed of developing library practices and issues.
- Actively participates as a member/leader of committees and other assigned branch teams.
Essential Physical Abilities
- Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing to be able to communicate effectively and present programs.
- Sufficient vision to be able to produce and review a wide variety of reports and related materials in both electronic and print formats.
- Sufficient manual dexterity to be able to access relevant library materials and operate a keyboard.
- Sufficient mobility to be able to transport materials and equipment and retrieve items from the shelves.
- Must be able to travel between buildings.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of library policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of a broad range of reference and readers' advisory materials and resources.
- Knowledge of literature and materials, social media and technological trends.
- Skill in using current and emerging library technology and automated systems.
- Skill in selecting appropriate materials for patrons and preparing bibliographies.
- Skill in training customers to use library resources.
- Ability to provide outstanding internal and external customer service through the use of excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to instruct, train, and supervise support staff and volunteers.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to keep records, files, compile reports, and analyze statistics.
- Ability to meet assigned project deadlines.
- Ability to serve the public in a positive manner.
- Ability to plan and present library programs for the public.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced public service environment.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
Education and Experience
- Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited graduate school of library and information science.
- Successful experience in public library reference and readers’ advisory.
- Excellent customer service skills with all ages is required.
Send resume and letter of application to Deputy Director Linda L. Roe (firstname.lastname@example.org) 1000 Grand Ave. Des Moines, Iowa 50309. Electronic applications are accepted. Please note—transcripts will be requested at the time of interview.
Applications from must be received by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, August 16, 2019.
Part-time Library Aides are hired at each of our six locations and applications are kept on file in each building. You are welcome to print out the application form below and take it to the Central Library or any of the five branches.
Contact Human Resources
The Des Moines Public Library welcomes your questions about employment opportunities.
Linda Roe | Deputy Director
1000 Grand Avenue
Des Moines, IA 50309
Phone: (515) 283.4102